Processing a payment in WordPress is a very simple task, but it is also one of the most important ones, as well as being the procedure you should pay the most attention to.
In fact, there are many payment gateways for WordPress that will meet any needs. So, in this article, we’ll show you how to improve your website by choosing the right payment processor.
The best ways to tackle payments in WordPress
When you make a purchase online, you are given many possibilities. Sometimes you can pay for an order at the time you receive it, or you are given a payment referral number to take to a nearby bank branch, or you are allowed to use a credit card, etc.
While all of these options are going to end up generating profits, there are some that are better and safer than others.
In relationship with what has just been mentioned, the best ways to make a payment on a page made with WordPress are:
- Direct bank deposit: Bank deposit is one of the simplest payment methods and does not require applications to run. All you have to do is send the account number to your customer and you’re done. However, you must keep in mind that the whole process must be done mechanically, by hand.
- Payment processors or gateways: Payment processors are 100% automatic and give anyone the possibility to pay with their preferred payment method, especially credit card. If you use this method on your website, payments will be completely secure and processed automatically.
Digital banks: Online or digital banks have the peculiarity that they store your money for until you decide to buy something at an online store. If it weren’t for that last fact, digital banks would be just like a payment gateway. One example is PayPal, which serves as a bank but also allows you to use a credit card for purchases.
Payment gateways for WordPress
WordPres is an application that allows you to use absolutely all the existing payment gateways on the market. However, in this article we are going to talk about a plugin that will allow you to choose whichever one is the most suitable for you and your customers.
Does WordPress have a payment plugin?
The name of the payment application for WordPress is WooCommerce. Although, in reality, WooCommerce is a site designer meant for selling products online.
This plugin will allow you to add your products, customize them, and provide the most convenient payment option for your customers.
WooCommerce payment gateway
The WooCommerce payment gateway could be considered, first and foremost, as an anchor for other gateways. This means that thanks to the application, you can integrate payments with Stripe, PayPal, and/or Mercadopago (this latter one, in the event you are located in Latin America).
It may sound a bit complex, but it’s really just a simple procedure that we’ll show you later in this article.
The importance of online payment methods
It should be emphasized that the goals sought by online payment methods are threefold.
- Security: Payment processors were implemented with the idea of eliminating all kinds of scams that can occur when shopping online. This is because you don’t just pay and go; every purchase must be verified by the customer, the bank, and the seller. This can only be achieved by using verified and accredited payment gateways.
- Optimization of processes: You don’t have to keep an eye on absolutely every purchase, especially when it comes to subscriptions. If a payment is ever unsuccessful, the applications will notify you.
Improved shopping experience: An online payment processor also seeks for the customer to have a very pleasant shopping experience. This has a positive impact, as customers will trust you much more when making a purchase from your business.
How does the WordPress payment plugin work?
On WordPress, payments work no differently than on other platforms:
- First of all, a connection is made to the servers of the company to which the payment processor belongs.
- When someone makes a purchase, the company retains the customer’s and the seller’s data. This way, the origin of the money can be checked and it can be verified that everything is in order.
Importance of providing WooCommerce recurring payments
WooCommerce recurring payments are mainly related to memberships to a website.
This means that, depending on the length of the membership, automatic charges will be made on a weekly, monthly, or yearly basis. This is really important for any business, as it is very difficult to keep up with this type of process manually and any little mistake means lost profits.
3 Best Payment Plugins for WordPress
Get to know this three payment integration in WordPress:
WordPress rating: 4.5/5
Active installs: 5,000,000+
Price: Free, with additional costs for advanced features starting at $10 per month.
WooCommerce is the world’s most popular open source e-commerce platform. Although the core of the plugin is free, it has the necessary features to create a powerful e-commerce site.
WooCommerce offers an extensive directory of premium add-ons, including themes, extensions, plugins and security tools, which you can incorporate into your WooCommerce shop to enhance its functionality.
WordPress rating: 4.2/5
Active installs: 1,000+
Price: $29.95 to $299.95 per month or custom pricing for Enterprise plan.
BigCommerce has its own content management and hosting system, and is now offering its service to the wider WordPress community with its developer beta. At the moment, an application is required to use BigCommerce, but this could change soon, as the system is under development.
BigCommerce has its own content management and hosting system, and is now offering its service to the wider WordPress community with its beta version for developers. At the moment, an application is required to use BigCommerce, but this could change soon, as the system is under development.
BigCommerce is a software as a service (SaaS) product, which means you don’t own the software and have to pay a monthly fee to use it.
It is one of the best WordPress eCommerce plugins for large businesses. It offers features to manage sales across multiple channels from a single dashboard and accommodates larger catalogues, traffic and order volume.
WordPress rating: 4/5
Active installs: 5,000+
Developer: WP Shopify
Price: free, Shopify Pro for $99-399 per year.
The Shopify WordPress plugin aims to provide an easy way to create an online shop. Although initially a stand-alone software-as-a-service (SaaS) e-commerce solution, Shopify now offers its services in the form of a WordPress plugin.
The plugin is free to download, but there is an annual fee to use the services. An additional fee is also charged if external payment systems are used. This is because Shopify encourages its users to use Shopify Payments, its own easy-to-use payment platform.
How to pay and receive secure payments
As you begin the process of setting up an online store, you may be wondering how to receive and send payments in a way that is completely secure.
The good news is that you don’t need to have extensive programming knowledge and you can count on PayRetailers to help you.
How do I set up a payment page on WordPress?
To answer the question of how to set up a payment page on WordPress, you should follow this procedure step by step:
- Install the WooCommerce plugin: The first thing that every online store must do if it wants to really be optimized is to have the WooCommerce plugin. You can easily find it in the plugins section.
- Configure WooCommerce: This is the easiest step, as the initial setup process is fully guided. After that initial setup, you’ll need to customize your designs and add your products.
- Set prices and install gateways: In WooCommerce, you can set the price of every product — whether you’re selling an individual product or a set of products. You will then be given the option to set up the payment method that best suits your location.
Knowing how to choose a payment processor for WordPress is a really important step. It is something that improves your security and your direct and/or indirect interactions with customers. In addition, at PayRetailers we will offer you a team of experts who can help you at all times and guide you in the process of improving your site or online store.